Monday, March 9, 2009

The year that was... Part I

I almost did not realize that 'famed' first year at IIMA is going to come to an end ! It has been a wonderful journey till now and the learnings have been tremendous. Even now I cannot exactly tell how it has made a difference to my life, but I am extremely happy that I have actually learnt so many things in the last 1 year.

The reason I am enjoying my MBA a lot more than engineering is primarily to do with the fact that one need not memorize for 80-85% of the subjects. The papers are conceptual and usually tests one's understanding of the subject. In equivalent words, the paper standard oscillates between the CBSE level and the JEE level. It rarely touches the State board level. This also ensures that one need not be over tensed before any exam that one will forget something. Yes. Last day preps do matter ! But just that isnt sufficient to score well. Also one is thought by proper professors whereas in engineering 50% of courses were taken by MTechs, sometime BTechs!! Yes, some profs may not teach that well. But most know the subject matter really well and are extremely knowledgeable.

Another reason I am enjoying the course is because I genuinely enjoy learning about management. I seem to be enjoying all the courses!

Unfortunately most students when they come to do an MBA, they think about specific sectors where they want to work in and concentrate only on those subjects and do not bother about the rest.

I remember an advice from an NITT alumni before joining IIMA: "Do an MBA assuming you are going to be an entrepreneur 10 years down the line". A very good advice indeed!

The first year rigour of IIMA is well known. In fact, it has reached the peak this slot with one assignment every other day. Before joining IIMA, I somehow did not appreciate how this system would benefit anyone. However, towards the end of the year, I strongly feel that the system works! The system does not make you study the whole day (baah! - average study hours now is 1.5-2 with minimum 0 and maximum 4-5 for a few). But it introduces constraints, the kind of constraints which one will face in real life and challenges you to adjust to it. You need to take a call. There are always trade-offs.

Eventually one becomes efficient under time pressure.

Will try posting more.

1 comment:

Charu said...

Good for you. :) I can totally understand ur stance on enjoying your course!