Friday, May 9, 2008

Bias

I was thinking about the kind of biases we have against certain things.

1. Intelligence - A measure of how sharp a person's thinking is
2. Maturity level (Attitude in general) - A measure of how evolved, tolerant, understanding etc one is
3. Experience/Age/Work exp etc - Age or no. of years working in some organization etc

Bias 1: We assume at times that Intelligence ensures Good attitude, maturity etc

This bias started with the "Ramu is a very good boy. He always gets first rank in the class" dialogue, which used to be dropped whenever a group of middle aged junta (mostly the moms) interact.

This bias gets inbuilt and I would go as far as to say that majority of decisions made to select someone for something in the corporate world do not consider attitude/maturity level at all. Its assumed that it would be in place.

I am surprised that when my dad sent a mail to all his friends that I got admits from BLIK, so many assumed and wrote how perfect an attitude I must have or similar things like that. They did not even know me and some were hearing about me for the first time!

Bias 2: We assume at times that age or amount of experience ensures some level of maturity

I was affected by this bias. I thought that if someone joins an MBA with maybe 2-3 years of experience, he "must" be mature. Though these days I have corrected it to "he must have got an opportunity to become more mature", which I feel is right.

Why this blog?

I have been reading certain mails from people who seem to have excellent credentials, very intelligent and what not. But the mails and the thoughts in the same are so immature and they highlight an extremely offensive attitude with dollops of ego. I am frankly surprised. I somehow unconsciously have been biased, probably because of my upbringing or whatever. I am learning slowly.

That way, I should definitely say, I have been extremely lucky during my engineering days to have got the chance to interact with extra-ordinarily talented people who were down to earth, humble, mature and with the right attitude.

No comments: