Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Expectations out of an MBA

- Learn general business stuff pretty well. I want to learn more on the overall functioning of business and not specifically specialize only in one subject. Though will take quite some electives in finance and strategy. I plan to take atleast one electives in each area.

- Sit in the classes of superb profs and enjoy the classes. I would never get such a chance again and did not get such an opportunity even at NIT Trichy (except for classes of Dr Karuppan Chetty and Dr Subbiah who were god level at NIT Trichy. Unfortunately both retired recently.)

- Good CGPA (I don't have any worthwhile academic achievement till date. Thought this is good time to try my hands on studies.)

- Get a good job. Preferably IBD (M&A) or MC. Not interested in IB-markets/structuring/Fixed Income etc and not interested in Sales and Marketing/Systems as of now.

- Learn 1-2 games/sports

- Develop a very good peer network

- Hopefully sit in a mature class with junta having good work exp and people who have fair ideas of what they want out of the course.

- Healthy competition amongst junta and not get into RGing and related stuff.

Not so interested in spending lot of my time on:

- Culturals and stuff
- Lits and stuff

Some logic behind above is I am trying to do all that which I did not do well during Engineering days. I was involved a lot in extra currics then and never bothered much about acads. I want to reverse that here.

These are my basic expectations before knowing what opportunities IIM A has to offer. Lets see how things move on. I will re asses these as and when required.