Friday, May 16, 2008

A complicated world

I started reading a e-book called God's Debris by Scott Adams of Dilbert fame. Know more about it here.

Read this in the first few pages.

Quote:

My solution was to create smart-sounding answers using the skeptic’s creed:

The simplest explanation is usually right.


My experience tells me that in this complicated world the simplest explanation is usually dead wrong. But I’ve noticed that the simplest explanation usually sounds right and is far more convincing than any complicated explanation could hope to be. That’s good enough for my purposes here.

Unquote:

I sometimes thought simplification is very good in this complicated world. I am not sure how I developed that thought. To a certain extent it was because of the awe I had on people who could explain complicated concepts in a simple way. But I feel I did not understand many concepts in detail and in depth due to oversimplification of the concept. I guess there is a thin line of difference in explaining things "simply" and "extremely simply".

I was wondering why I had the urge to oversimplify certain concepts. The above quote in blue answered it.

No comments: